Minute of the 2nd Meeting of IOI – Thailand Training Centre Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) 6th Floor, Marine Resources Conservation Division 2nd May 2022 Bangkok, Thailand
A meeting was held on Monday, 2nd May 2022 at 9:00 a.m. at the Marine Resources Conservation Division, Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR), Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Bangkok, Thailand to discuss on progress of the MoU between DMCR and IOI on the Establishment of a Training Centre and Collaboration on Ocean Governance in the Southeast Asian Seas and the Indian Ocean which was signed on 6th January 2022. The meeting was chaired by Dr. Anuwat Nateewatana, Director of IOI-Thailand. The list of participants was provided in Annex.
The following issues were discussed;
1.0 The MoU & Its Implementation
• Activities are to develop a 5-year plans and joint activities, periodic online meetings between IOI HQ and IOI – Thailand, appointments of Director of IOI – Thailand and its staff, office space arrangements, website arrangement, implementation of the IOI – Thailand Regional Training Programme on Ocean Governance, Trade and Sustainable Development for the Southeast Asian Seas and the Indian Ocean from 2023 to 2027 and other activities (World Ocean Day Celebrations and organizations of international technical Seminars and Conferences, etc.);
• It is suggested that the IOI – Thailand will hold a strategic planning workshop to develop its strategic plan for 2022 – 2027 with vision and mission statements and action plans. The proposed workplan and budget for 2022 - 2027 will be submitted to both DMCR and IOI HQ;
• For the regional training programme, IOI – Thailand confirmed that Prof. Wong Poh Poh will continue his role as the Course Director;
• DMCR appointed Dr. Anuwat Nateewatana as the Director of IOI – Thailand Training Centre. Two support staff are Mr. Jenwit Thammavichan, Fisheries Biologist, Practitioner Level and Mr. Suphan Tosuk, Foreign Relations Officer;
• The office space and a meeting room with a total area of about 150 m2 was arranged at the Foreign Affairs Division;
• The IOI – Thailand website (http://dmcrth.dmcr.go.th/ioithailand/) was established;
• In 2022, the IOI – Thailand will join the celebration of the World Ocean Day on 8 June 2022 at the Department of Environmental Quality Promotion, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.
2.0 Financial Management
• DMCR budget to support the regional training programme and related activities will be based on the Government rules and regulations (This has been made since 2016);
• IOI – Thailand income from IOI HQ and fund raising will be based on the IOI rule of procedure. The IOI – Thailand will open its own Bank Account in Thailand for receiving the income. The workplan and budget as well as report will be made in according to the IOI calendar year;
• Mrs. Pongsri Virapat will provide some relevant documents on budget estimation and templates to the IOI – Thailand.
3.0 Letter of Intent (LoI) between IOI – HQ and the International Institute for Trade and Development (ITD), Thailand’s Ministry of Commerce
• The LoI was signed on 27th February 2020. The ITD can collaborate with IOI – Thailand on the regional training programme and related activities.
4.0 Host Organization of the IOI – Thailand
• Dr. Cherdsak Virapat informed that during the visit to the IOI HQ in Malta by H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of Thailand on 26th August 2014, H.R.H. Princess kindly noted that the IOI – Thailand was not at that time being hosted by any Governmental agency. In this regard, H.R.H. Princess kindly designated Khunying Sumonta Promboon* to assist the IOI HQ in finding a suitable host for the IOI in Thailand. It will be most appropriate for the IOI HQ to send a letter to the Office of H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to inform about the success in having the DMCR as the current host organization of the IOI – Thailand.
5.0 Nomination of a candidate for the CIRDAP Training Programme in November 2022
• The Director of IOI – Thailand would like to establish a collaboration with the Centre on Integrated Rural Development for Asia and the Pacific (CIRDAP). In this regard, IOI – Thailand would like to nominate a candidate from the DMCR for the CIRDAP training course which will be held in November 2022 in Bangladesh.
• In closing, the Director of IOI – Thailand conveyed his thanks to all participants and ended the meeting at 11:30 a.m.
*รองศาสตราจารย์ คุณหญิงสุมณฑา พรหมบุญ ประธานกรรมการ คณะกรรมการการอุดมศึกษา
Annex: List of participants
Dr. Anuwat Nateewathana
Director of International Ocean Institute Thailand Training Centre (IOI - Thailand)
Ms. Saowalak Winyoonuntakul
Director of Foreign Affairs Division
Ms. Armonrat Nilson
General Administration Officer, Professional Level
Mr. Krichkorn Nonnok
Finance and Accounting Analyst, Practitioner Level
Fisheries Biologist, Practitioner Level
Mr. Suphan Tosuk
Foreign Relations Officer
Ms. Kanok-on Tripipat
Finance and Accounting Analyst
Dr. Cherdsak Virapat, Former Advisory Board of IOI - Thailand
Mrs. Pongsri Virapat, Former Administrative Officer of IOI - Thailand